Lawton Car Accident Attorney
Car accidents are terrifying and traumatic. The experience is even more alarming when it involves serious injuries. Unfortunately, car accidents don’t end when the dust settles. Sometimes the distress continues as injury victims navigate the legal system to try to recover compensation for a car accident in Lawton. Oklahoma’s comparative negligence insurance system makes proving fault in a car accident critical to a claim for compensation. Insurance companies may take unfair advantage of this law to minimize the amount they pay out on Oklahoma car accident claims.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a car accident in Lawton or the surrounding area, you deserve experienced representation to defend your rights and your best financial interests in a Lawton car accident claim. Call the Oklahoma City personal injury attorneys at Dan Davis Law today for a free case evaluation so we can begin working on a strategy for your claim.
Why Choose Us for Your Car Accident Lawyers in Lawton?
Dan Davis Law has served injured clients in Lawton for over 25 years with a strong track record of success for car accident victims. When you’ve been injured in a car accident in Lawton, your medical bills may be piling up at the same time that your injuries prevent you from returning to work. These consequences as well as your pain and suffering are known as your “damages” in a car accident claim. Your Lawton car accident attorney from Dan Davis Law can help you recover compensation for damages by doing the following:
- Putting our firm’s two decades of experience behind your claim to achieve the best possible outcome for your case
- Offering a free consultation and no attorney fees until we win your case
- Applying dedicated legal advocacy methods from an attorney who takes the time to know you and the impacts of the accident on your life
- Giving individualized attention and a personalized strategy for your unique claim
- Applying skilled investigation techniques to determine the cause of the accident, identify the liable party, and calculate your damages before presenting a compelling case to the at-fault party’s insurance company
Dan Davis Law offers the advantages of a large law firm with the small-town personalized attention of a hometown car accident law firm in Lawton.
Liability in Lawton Car Accident Cases
Oklahoma’s modified comparative negligence insurance laws allow car accident victims to claim a portion of their damages even if they were partly at fault for the accident. The amount of compensation they recover is minus their percentage of fault. For example, if the insurance company determines that you were 20% at fault for the accident while their insurance holder was 80% at fault, you’d still receive $80,000 on a $100,000 claim. Unfortunately, powerful insurance companies may take advantage of the state’s comparative negligence laws to assign injury victims an undue percentage of the fault so they can minimize the amount they pay out on your claim. Your car accident attorney in Lawton will investigate all aspects of the accident to determine fault and prove liability. Liability in car accident claims requires demonstrating the following legal points with evidence:
- The at-fault party owed a duty of care to others on the road to take reasonable measures to avoid causing injuries
- They breached this duty through an act of negligence
- Their negligent breach of duty directly caused your injuries
- You’ve experienced significant damages from the injury
You have a right to full compensation for your damages when someone else’s actions caused a car accident. Negligent drivers are the most common liable parties in car accidents in Oklahoma, but in some cases, the liable party could be the manufacturer of a defective auto part or a negligent road crew.
What Damages Can I Recover After a Car Accident in Oklahoma?
Car accidents quickly become expensive when they involve injuries as well as property damage. A successful Lawton car accident claim for damages can help you recover compensation for the following:
- Property damage
- Medical expenses
- Future medical costs for ongoing care related to the accident
- Lost wages
- Future income loss/diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Any other non-economic damages that might apply in your case such as emotional trauma, loss of enjoyment of life due to disability, or disfigurement compensation for scarring
The car accident lawyers in Lawton from Dan Davis Law in Lawton will carefully calculate your damages so no avenue for compensation is overlooked.
Oklahoma has an alarmingly high number of car accidents each year including 9,360 car accidents with injuries and/or fatalities by the end of December in 2023. Common types of car accidents experienced by Oklahoma residents including those in Lawton include the following:
- Rear-end collisions
- T-bone (side impact) accidents
- Sideswipe accidents
- Head-on collisions
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Uninsured motorist accidents
- Distracted driving accidents
- Intoxicated driver accidents
Accidents in Oklahoma commonly result from distracted drivers, tailgating, failure to yield the right of way, unsafe lane changes, and drunk driving.
If your accident involved a commercial truck, the commercial truck accident attorneys at Dan Davis are ready to help. If a loved one died in a car accident caused by another driver’s negligent or reckless behavior, a wrongful death lawyer in Lawton can help family members recover compensation and accountability.
What to Do After a Car Accident
It may be difficult to keep a clear head during the traumatic aftermath of a car accident, but by taking steps at the scene of the accident and in the days to follow, you can protect yourself physically and financially. After a car accident, do the following:
- Use your phone to call 911 and then as a tool to document evidence. If you’re too seriously injured to move safely, ask an uninjured person to do this for you
- Take photos of the damaged vehicles
- Take photos of the accident scene, including anything relevant to the accident like street signs, an intersection, or a traffic signal
- Add the contact information of the involved drivers
- Add the contact information of any eyewitnesses
- Record a statement of what you remember about the accident (trauma may fade the memory later)
Always go to the hospital after an accident and have a thorough evaluation, being sure to tell the doctor about every symptom, even if it seems minor. Ask for a detailed medical report with your prognosis as well as your doctor’s recommendations for treatment. Then, carefully follow your doctor’s instructions, attend every appointment, and avoid posting on social media until after you settle your claim.
Call The Lawton Car Accident Lawyers at Dan Davis Today
If you or a close family member suffered injuries and property damage in a car accident in Lawton or the surrounding area, you shouldn’t take on the complex claim process or a lawsuit alone. Contact the car accident attorneys at Dan Davis Law today so we can recover your damages while you work on recovering your physical health.