Edmond Wrongful Death Attorney
No one should ever lose their life because of the careless or reckless acts of another person. Sadly, this is a tragedy that occurs in Oklahoma almost every day. If you believe that someone else caused your loved one’s recent death, request a free legal consultation with the Edmond, Oklahoma wrongful death attorneys at Dan Davis Law for assistance. Our attorneys are passionate about helping others – including families grieving the preventable loss of a loved one.
How We Can Help
A wrongful death attorney will know exactly how to handle your case for the best possible case results. Our skilled Oklahoma City accident attorneys will fight to hold someone accountable for taking your loved one’s life. Your lawyer can thoroughly investigate the fatal accident, preserve and collect evidence, file confusing paperwork on your family’s behalf, and take any other steps to pursue justice. An attorney can also make sure that your family has everything it needs during this difficult time, providing you more mental peace when you need it the most.
Wrongful Death Claim Frequently Asked Questions in Oklahoma
The death of a loved one is a difficult and confusing time for any family. It is normal to have questions about your family’s rights and legal options. Dan Davis Law offers free initial consultations at our local law office so that you can get tailored answers to your specific questions. In the meantime, we hope that these answers to frequently asked questions can help:
- What is wrongful death? Oklahoma Statutes Section 12-1053 defines wrongful death as someone being killed due to the wrongful act or omission of another person. In general, if the victim would have had the right to file a personal injury lawsuit had he or she survived, there are grounds for a wrongful death lawsuit.
- What causes wrongful deaths in Oklahoma? The most common causes of wrongful death are motor vehicle accidents, falls, workplace accidents, acts of violence, dangerous premises, defective products, and medical malpractice. If the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s passing are suspicious, contact a lawyer to find out if you have a wrongful death case.
- Who can file a wrongful death claim? In Oklahoma, the law is different from most other states in that it does not allow surviving family members to file a lawsuit. Instead, only the personal representative of the deceased individual’s estate may file a wrongful death claim. If the decedent’s estate does not have an administrator, the courts will appoint one.
- What damages are available? The damages or financial compensation, available for wrongful death in Oklahoma include medical expenses, funeral and burial expenses, lost earnings over a lifetime, grief and mental anguish, loss of companionship, loss of consortium, and the decedent’s pain and suffering.
- Is there a deadline to file a wrongful death claim in Oklahoma? It is a requirement to file a wrongful death cause of action in Oklahoma within two years of the date of death. If you fail to commence the claim within two years, the courts will most likely refuse to hear your case.
Keep in mind that every wrongful death case is unique. While the laws in Oklahoma remain the same, those that apply to your unique case can change. The best way to handle your specific case is by hiring an attorney to help you. You can trust your lawyer to answer your legal questions honestly and give you the legal advice that you need going forward. If a death occurred in Oklahoma City, be sure to reach out to our Oklahoma City wrongful death attorneys for necessary assistance.
Request a Free Consultation in Edmond, OK Today
If you recently lost a loved one, we first wish to extend our sincere condolences. We know that this is an extremely difficult and traumatic time for you and your family. We wish to ease the frustration and stress that you feel by providing answers and guidance throughout the wrongful death legal process. Please call (405) 930-4210 today for a free case evaluation with one of our attorneys in Edmond, Oklahoma. Our Oklahoma City personal injury lawyers will be here for you and your family every step of the way.