Oklahoma City Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Attorney
Nothing is more traumatizing and stressful than suffering injuries in a car accident — except discovering the at-fault motorist was uninsured or underinsured. Oklahoma consistently has a poor record for large numbers of uninsured motorists on the road.
Car accident injuries require medical treatment and often involve lost time at work. In some circumstances, serious injuries from a car accident can be catastrophic and life-changing or even end in a devastating fatality. When your accident is with an uninsured driver or one whose coverage limits don’t meet your claim, it becomes difficult to recover your losses from your own insurance company. The expert team of attorneys at the Dan Davis Law Firm in Oklahoma City has decades of experience with accidents involving uninsured/underinsured motorists. Contact our Oklahoma City accident attorneys today so we can develop a strategy and deal with your insurance company to get you the compensation and damages you deserve so you can concentrate on your own recovery and wellness.
Understanding Oklahoma Auto Insurance Requirements
Oklahoma law requires all drivers have valid insurance coverage. The minimum required coverage is legal liability coverage at 25/50/25, meaning a car insurance policy must cover $20,000 for single-person injuries, $50,000 for all involved injuries in a single accident, and $25,000 for property damage. Unfortunately, some drivers let their insurance lapse or their minimum liability coverage may not cover all of your accident-related damages.
Law requires insurance companies in Oklahoma to offer extra coverage to protect drivers in the event of an accident with an uninsured/underinsured motorist, but drivers aren’t required to purchase it. Instead, they can decline by signing a waiver. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM) Coverage does not cover property damage to your vehicle, but it does provide coverage for medical expenses and lost income. Unfortunately, insurance companies are rarely anxious to pay out on claims and are experts at finding questionable reasons to deny claims or undervalue them to protect their profits. That’s why our team of Oklahoma City accident attorneys stand ready to advocate aggressively to secure your claim through a settlement or in court.
What Kind of Damages Can I Get in An Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Claim?
While UM insurance, unfortunately, won’t cover damage to your vehicle, you can recover the following damages with a properly drafted demand letter through a knowledgeable attorney. Common damage settlements and awards include:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical expenses for surgeries and rehabilitation services
- Lost wages
- Lost future income
Some insured drivers don’t even realize their insurance policy includes this coverage. UM policies provide coverage under the following circumstances:
- An at-fault driver lacks coverage or adequate coverage
- Hit and run accidents when the at-fault driver isn’t identified or located
- An at-fault driver’s limited liability coverage doesn’t provide enough coverage for the full compensation an accident victim needs
- An at-fault driver’s insurance carrier is found to be solvent
What to Do After an Accident With an Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist
The aftermath of an accident is traumatic and turbulent, but keeping a cool head during this painful and frightening experience can help your financial recovery later. After an accident, always do the following if you are physically able and it doesn’t endanger your safety:
- Collect contact information and insurance information from all involved drivers
- Take photos of the involved vehicles and the accident scene
- Take witness contact information and/or use video to record their descriptions of what they witnessed
- Allow paramedics to transport you to the hospital or seek medical treatment as soon as possible, ensuring your medical team keeps detailed records of expenses and treatment recommendations
- Don’t talk directly to insurance companies, but instead seek representation from skilled accident attorneys
The law firm of Dan Davis in Oklahoma City fights aggressively for full compensation and damages with diligence and persistence. Contact our law firm today for legal representation from a compassionate team of OKC injury lawyers who can take on the insurance companies for you so you can take the time you need to fully recover.